3D Action MOBA's Beta month for Chinese market revealed, plus announcement of new game-mode and preview of new gods.
ATLANTA, August 21, 2013. -- Tencent Holdings Limited, Asia's top internet company and the fourth largest gaming company in the world, and Hi-Rez Studios, developer of free-to-play online action games, announced a worldwide publishing cooperation for the game SMITE, along with new SMITE features and content.
"SMITE is a 3D action MOBA online game in the theme of gods and developed using the Unreal 3 engine,", said Mr. Steven Ma, Vice President of Tencent. "SMITE is a totally new type of MOBA with some traditional mechanics, but also providing different modes of battle and gameplay. SMITE combines 3D MMORPG with FPS elements, making the game fast paced and competitive. We think it's these differences from other MOBAs that will make the game a success in China."
"As the world leader in online gaming, Tencent is an ideal partner to help us serve the gaming community outside of North America and Europe" said Todd Harris, COO Hi-Rez Studios. "We have been working closely with Tencent to ensure that Chinese gods are authentic to that culture, while still making those gods available to all SMITE players worldwide." The cooperation deal was announced at an international press event held at gamescom on Wednesday, August 21st and attended by media from Europe, North America, and China.
Highlights of the event included:
- A reveal of the latest platform metrics from Tencent:
- As of 2012, QQ Game portal has 461 million active users representing 65% of China's online market share
- Tencent has 7 online games that each host more than 1,000,000 concurrent users
- Tencent communicated that the MOBA genre in China grew by 70% last year, and detailed their strategy to further consolidate their MOBA leadership position with SMITE.
- Insight into SMITE's play metrics from current Beta in NA and EU:
- Continuous concurrent user growth since Beta began of June 2012
- Over 2,000,000 registered players to date
- #13 Most Viewed game in the west across all genres and platforms (July, Twitch.TV)
- The Reveal of a new game-mode for SMITE
- A preview of next set of Chinese gods designed in collaboration with Tencent, including: revised Guan Yu, Sun WuKong, Zhong Kui.
- The announcement of SMITE's first launch details for the Chinese market including the Chinese logo for SMITE and details of the Closed Beta to begin October 2013.
SMITE is a free-to-play online game for the PC that is currently in Open Beta within North America and Europe. It can be downloaded and played for free at www.smitegame.com.
Tencent uses technology to enrich the lives of Internet users. Every day, hundreds of millions of people communicate, share experiences, consume information, seek entertainment, and shop online through our integrated platforms. Our diversified services include QQ, Weixin and WeChat for communications; Qzone for social networking; QQ Game Platform for online games; QQ.com for information; as well as our eCommerce open platform. Our company was founded in Shenzhen in 1998 and went public on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2004. We seek to evolve with the Internet by investing in innovation, providing a hospitable environment for our partners, and staying close to our users.
About Hi-Rez Studios
Hi-Rez Studios was established in 2005 to create exceptional online interactive entertainment. In 2010 the company released their first title, the squad-based shooter MMO Global Agenda. In April 2012 the company released the critically acclaimed Tribes: Ascend, billed as the World's Fastest Shooter. Hi-Rez Studios is now developing the upcoming action MOBA game SMITE.
For more information, contact email@example.com or visit www.hirezstudios.com.