2014 has been quite the ride for SMITE esports. With 8 weeks of qualifying tournaments, a large launch LAN competition and a month of sponsored events, we've had an action packed year. But it doesn't end there. In fact, it has only begun.
Beginning May 3rd, we will start our Regional Qualifiers which will last for 3 months. At the end of July, points will be tallied up and only the top teams will be invited to the Region LAN which is slated for the month of August. Read more on the upcoming esports schedule. Additional details will be announced in the near future.
But for now, let's go over some details and changes for the upcoming season:
Start of Qualifiers: May 3rd at 12:00pm EDT (NA) and May 4th at 9:00am EDT/1400 CEST (EU)
Duration: One tournament per region each weekend
End of Qualifiers: End of July
Check-in Times: Read more here
2 points to each team entering the tournament. Just for checking in to the tournament, your team will be given 2 points. What's so special about those 2 points? Well, as teams get put into the weekly tournament bracket, they are seeded based on their points. The more points you have, the better the spot you have in the competition.
For the first week of competition, the only teams that will be seeded will be the organizations of the top 4 teams per region - regardless of the roster changes. All other teams will be randomly seeded. From week 2 on, all teams will be seeded based on their points. Any tie in points or teams with no points will be seeded randomly within their point tier.
- Soft Roster Locking (Week 1 - 5). The first 5 weeks will be a soft roster lock meaning you can change your teams roster throughout these weeks at any point with an infinite amount of spots available to your team. In order for your team to maintain points throughout the tournament series, you must hold a minimum of 3 players from the first roster your team checked in. If this criteria is not met, your points will be reset back to 0 the first week you are unable to hold 3 original members.
- Hard Roster Locking (Week 6 - end). Starting week 6, a full roster lock will start. The roster you check in with on Week 6 will be locked to your team for the rest of the qualifying series (until the end of July). As mentioned in Section 3.3 (e), 3 original members from the first week of competition you checked in with must be present on your team in order to maintain the teams points.
- There is a maximum of 9 spots available for each team.
- The only time a roster locked player may be removed from a team is if the said team has not placed in 4th place or higher in week 6 or beyond. Only then may the player email written consent to their regional admin requesting to be released from their current roster. This request must be done 24 hours before the start of a tournament.
- If the team has placed in 4th place or higher in any qualifying tournament from Week 6 on, they are roster locked and can not be removed from that team at any point.
- We will be using the new draft mode which includes 6 god bans. See the following image to fully understand the ban process: http://imgur.com/mKp8T9G
- Teams are strongly advised to create a team logo prior to their first time checking in. All logos must be sent in to the admins of the tournament. Send your logos in to firstname.lastname@example.org (North American teams) and email@example.com (European teams). Logos must fit the following guidelines:
- Logos must be a square of either a 400x400 or 500x500 (pixels) resolution
- Logos must have a transparent background with very minimal empty space
- Logos must be saved as a .png
Later this week, we will publish the full rule set that we will govern throughout the entirety of the Regional Qualifiers along with any other important details relating to this tournament series.
After seeing the latest news on the top teams switching up and changing their rosters as well as the new talent out there, I am extremely excited to see the upcoming weeks of competition. Good luck everyone!